Each month, The New Fashion Initiative invites a leading voice in the sustainable and ethical fashion revolution to answer 17 questions about themselves, both personal and professional. It’s our green and socially conscious spin on Vanity Fair‘s beloved Proust Questionnaire. This month, our interviewee is Christina Dean, Founder and CEO of luxe upcycled clothing brand The R Collective and Founder of Redress, a Hong Kong based charity that tackles waste in the fashion industry.
1. What is your favorite article of clothing?
My high-waisted, wide-legged upcycled wool houndstooth trousers, by The R Collective, designed by Chinese sustainable designer, Wen Pan
2. What is the most wonderful thing about the fashion industry right now?
That fashion is a reflection of our times and that across the world many of the fashion community are striving to make fashion better. This fighting spirit – reflected on the runway – reflects the human in us that also strives to do better.
3. What do you think is the most shocking thing about fashion today?
That supposedly around half of the fashion industry has not yet tried to become more sustainable.
4. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever traveled to?
Cycling from Azerbaijan through Georgia .
5. What is your favorite indulgence?
6. What makes you happiest?
Seeing my children enlightened, fulfilled or showing empathy.
7. What environmental or social problem are we overlooking?
The impacts of our own lifestyles. It takes a deeper layer of selflessness to give up more than the frills of our own lifestyles.
8. Are you more introverted or extroverted?
I have no idea – somewhere in the middle – no doubt bouncing around between the two.
9. What do you do first in the morning?
Listen to see if my baby is awake yet.
10. What was the happiest moment of this past year?
Sadly – or not – no standout happy moments; just a general bumpy and mostly pleasurable year so far.
11. Best professional moment of your life thus far?
Way too many great moments in my career. Little victories won day by day.
12. Can you describe the last outfit you wore that made you feel amazing?
The R Collective’s upcycled bomber jacket made with upcycled US military waste; makes me feel unstoppable!
13. Favorite movie?
Life is Beautiful.
14. How do you recharge?
Have a bath and count to 10, hopefully a few times!
15. What three words describe you best?
Committed, Honest, Warm.
16. What makes you laugh the hardest?
Usually some kiddy fart joke!
17. Favorite book?
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.